Web Page Layouts
A Web Page Layout is an image used for planning the appearance of a website
prior to programming it. It should appear to be a screenshot of the desired
A Web Page Layout is used as a guideline during the construction of a web page,
focusing on its appearance. It allows organization using images rather than
having to program the components repeatedly. Also, it provides a visual
representation, which is easier to share with others than trying to describe
what the web page should look like.
- Determine the purpose. Brainstorm the purpose and goals for the web page. Its functions will affect its layout.
- Begin the layout. Title the web page using the company name or the function of the site.
- Add features. Depending on the purpose of the website, add shapes and images to represent panels, buttons, logos and anything else necessary to the page's function. Regardless of purpose, make the page inviting and easy to read so that viewers will be more likely to navigate the website. This step can be made quick and easy using the Web Page Layout template offered by SmartDraw.
- Organize. Move the components around and change text until the desired web page results. This can be done using a trial and error method; actually seeing the layout makes the designing process easier than trying to mentally visualize it.
- Construct the web page. Use the completed Web Page Layout to consult with others and to construct the actual web page.