What is a Workflow Diagram?
A workflow diagram depicts a series of actions that define a job or how work should be done. A workflow diagram visualizes how tasks will flow between resources, whether they're machines or people and what conditions allow the sequence to move forward. This workflow can be illustrated or described with a flowchart using abstract boxes and diamonds or it can be created with depictions of real-life objects using graphics and pictures that represent customers, forms, finance, products, shipping, payments, and more. For software development, a workflow diagram defines a series of steps a process must execute consistently.
A workflow chart is commonly used for documentation and implementation purposes since it provides a general overview of a business process. It's often the foundation for other documentation including flowcharts, data flow diagrams, projects, and more.
Each step in the workflow is represented with a pictorial symbol or an abstract shape like a box. The steps are connected with arrows that indicate the flow from beginning to end.
How to Create a Workflow Diagram
- Define the start point of the process or system and add a symbol to the page to represent it. In a flowchart, this symbol would be a rounded rectangle, but with a workflow you can use graphics such as a customer or employee entering a request or initiating an action.
- Create the process. For each step in the workflow, add a symbol and connect it to the previous shape. If you use a SmartDraw template, this will be done automatically for you. The arrows show the direction of workflow. Continue this until the entire workflow has been illustrated. In some cases, it may loop back to the starting point.
- Share your workflow diagram in a variety of common graphics formats, as a PDF, or export them to any Office® application in one click. SmartDraw works with popular services such as Dropbox®, Google Drive™, and OneDrive®.
- Take SmartDraw on site with you, too. Create a workflow online using your Mac® or PC laptop. You can also use SmartDraw on your tablet or smartphone running iOS®, Android®, or any other platform.
- Consult with all stakeholders to make sure the workflow diagram is complete and accurate.
Watch this video:
Workflow Diagram Examples
The best way to understand workflow diagrams is to look at some examples of workflow diagrams.
Click on any of these workflow diagrams included in SmartDraw and edit them:
Browse SmartDraw's entire collection of workflow diagram examples and templates