Extensions allow users to generate diagrams from data, skipping the drawing process. You can create your own custom extensions with some powerful built-in tools and share it with your team.
There are three ways to create your own extension:
- Create a program that translates data to VisualScript elsewhere and expose a REST endpoint for SmartDraw to access, but build the end-user UI inside SmartDraw
- Host your own extension code on your own server
The process for creating any extension follows the same pattern.
You will need to write a program that:
- Extracts data from a source based on user input
- Organizes the data into a form that can be represented visually (like a tree or a sequence of steps)
- Converts that model into VisualScript (ideally using the VisualScript SDK)
- Passes the VisualScript markup to SmartDraw to turn into a diagram