What is an Application Form?
An application form is used to collect relevant and required information from an applicant.
For a lot of businesses, the application form itself is a minor test of the individual's ability to follow instructions, penmanship, literacy, and communication skills. A poorly completed application form may in itself prevent the individual from being considered or disqualify them completely.
Types of Application Forms
There are a number of application form templates available in SmartDraw.
- Employment Application Form. A form used to collect information from job applicants. Information collected may include: availability for work, proof of legal employment status, salary requirements, and past job history.
- Membership Application Form. This type of form allows a club or organization an opportunity to provide prospective members a way to request admittance. The member applicant may be asked to provide such information as employment history, emergency contacts, family members, and references.
- Rental Application Form. This type of form allows a landlord to consider the qualifications of a potential tenant. The application authorizes the landlord to verify the information provided. This usually includes authorization to allow the landlord to check the applicant's credit history, employment status, rental history, and a criminal background check.
- Credit Application Form. This type of form is used to apply for credit with a lender. The information provided is used to help determine the borrower's employment status, credit history, and ability to repay the loan.
- Volunteer Application Form. Nonprofit organizations can be held responsible for illegal acts committed by their volunteers. A properly vetted and documented volunteer worker's application can help nonprofits protect themselves under their umbrella insurance policy. A volunteer application form can provide the nonprofit with the necessary information.
How to Make an Application Form
The best way to make a form is to start from a template that is closest to what you want. Then you only have to modify what's different for your organization. Most templates will have all
the common form elements like name, address, job history already on the page. All you have to do is add any fields that are missing or customize it using your own logo and information.
Application Form Examples
Click on any of these application forms included in SmartDraw and edit them:
Browse SmartDraw's entire collection of application form examples and templates